In 1926, the North Merrick Fire District was formed to provide fire protection to the citizens of the North Merrick community. The first Chief of Department was Herman Rottjer, who served as Chief from 1926-1928. In December of 1927, the district purchased two new pieces of fire apparatus. A White/Pirsch city service ladder truck and a White Pirsch pumper for Engine Company and Hook and Ladder Company.
In 1962, the community saw the ground breaking of the new fire headquarters on Camp Avenue. This year the department saw the formation of the Rescue Company and members were transferred out of the Hook & Ladder and Engine Company to create this new line company. Also, at this time, a 1000 gallon per minute pumper was ordered from Mack Trucks of Allentown Pennsylvania, which was assigned to another newly formed company, Engine Company 2.
Today, the Department is comprised of five line companies (Engine 1, Engine 2, Hook and Ladder, Rescue, and Fire Police). The Chiefs Office and Board of Fire Commissioners is leading the department toward its 100th Anniversary coming up in 2026.